Faculty of Law Universitas Airlangga, as the pioneer of progressive, dynamic, and sustainable legal studies in Eastern Indonesia, has committed to deliver resourceful legal education and services. The establishment of Master’s Program in Law in the Faculty of Law of Universitas Airlangga is a manifestation of the advancement in legal studies in concern to the dynamics of science and of modern societies. The program takes a leap forward from its vision of “Becoming an independent, innovative, acclaimed, and adaptive Master’s Program in Law; a pioneer of legal studies oriented to creating jurists with exceptional legal competences and moral value,” and the mission to “Provide education on legal studies to produce jurists with legal competences with the purpose of: (1) developing innovative researches to support the study of law, (2) providing service for the community, and (3) practicing Tri Dharma oriented towards quality assurance and national and international competitive advantages”. The objective of UNAIR‘s Master’s Program in Law is to produce professional jurists with outstanding legal competences and moral value. This is in line with the motto of Universitas Airlangga: ‘Excellence with Morality’. This motto implies a synergy between a well-managed education system—along with its acclaimed long-term experience as a highly qualified higher education institution, and professional faculty members—and the strengthening of moral values to guarantee the quality of the graduates. UNAIR’s Master’s Program in Law currently offers specific majors to provide opportunities of for gaining knowledge in legal affairs and the best learning experience. For that matter, along with stakeholder’s ever-increasing demand on for the quality of graduates, the program’s curriculum is designed based on competences expected by the stakeholders and job market. The majors include: Business Law (with a concentration on general business or Islamic business), Court Trial, Government Law, and International Law. Public’s attention on to legal issues is growing in this globalized world in form of various legal forums. The increase in the number of these forums at both regional and international level has created an opportunity, challenge, and solution altogether for the ongoing dynamics. The understanding of legal aspect, thus, have become more urgent and strategic. The choice to study law, especially UNAIR’s Master’s Program in Law, is indeed a rational, objective, and future-oriented option.
Ex oriente Lux! Thank you. Wassalamualaikum wr.wb.
PROF. Dr. AGUS YUDHA HERNOKO, S.H., M.H.
Head of the Program – Master in Law
Becoming an independent, innovative, acclaimed, and adaptive Master’s Program in Law; a pioneer of legal studies oriented to creating jurists with exceptional legal competencies and moral value
- Providing education on legal studies to produce jurists with legal competencies oriented toward quality and national and international competitive advantages;
- Developing innovative researches to support the study of law
- Providing service for the community and cooperation oriented toward quality and national and international competitive advantages.
Master’s Program in Law’s objectives are:
Master’s Program in Law’s Learning Outcome is:
Producing Masters of Law with
- Specific competences as legal professionals;
- Skill to improve academic excellence for pursuing higher studies;
- Capabilities to improve the quality of legal services.
Provide law education which produces graduates (Masters of Law) as jurists with outstanding legal competences and moral value who participate in the development of law as expected by national and international interests.
(2) The Institutional Objective of Master’s Program in Law is to produce graduates with the following qualifications:
- Having faith and piety to in God Almighty, spirit of Pancasila, and strong character integrity
- Being open and responsive toward changes and development of science, technology, and arts, including problems faced by society, especially those related to their legal expertise
(3) The Curriculum Objective of Master’s Program in Law is to produce jurists with:
- Cross-dimensional knowledge on law:
- Ability to participate in the development of legal studies;
- Ability to improve the quality of legal services;
- Professional: graduates of the Master’s Program in Law is able to implement legal theories (knowledge and skill) in their line of work.
- Independent: graduates of the Master’s Program in Law is able to solve legal issues individually.
- Innovative: graduates of the Master’s Program in Law is able to develop knowledge through researches.
- Adaptive: graduates of the Master’s Program in Law is able to adapt to and keep up with the development in legal studies.
As a response to a public demand of legal experts, the Faculty of Law of Universitas Airlangga opened the Master’s Program in Law with its 2 (two) majors: Business and Government in the year 2000. A year later, the 2 (two) majors became official with the issuance of Rector Decree Number 6005/J03/PP/2001 dated 28 May 2001. The decision was made to expand the diversity and specificity of the Master’s Program in Law, which had previously been organized by UNAIR Graduate School.
In the year 2004, a major of Court Trial was opened based on Rector Decree Number 1677/J03/PP/2004. On its first opening, 44 students enrolled in the program. Lectures and academic administration took place in Faculty of Law Building A. The program ran with 22 academic staffs, 14 management staffs, and 3 registrars. Ten years later, in 2014, along with Rector Decree Number 117/UN.3.1.3/KD/2014, a new major of International Business was opened.
Anchoring toward its vision, missions, and objectives, Master’s Program in Law —with its majors of Business Law, Government Law, Court Trial, and International Law—encourages cooperation between faculty members, staffs, and students; one with a sense of responsibility and ownership. The goal is to make the program to become one that is highly regarded in the development of law in Indonesia. In accordance to the Master’s Program in Law’s vision, missions, and objectives, the curriculum of the program was designed to produce professional graduates with the ability to tackle challenges presented by the modern, globalized world.
Calender Academic 2018